- (confirmed) macOS 13+, (unconfirmed macOS 12+)
- Is MDM Stuck Fact is True
Potential Device Symptoms
- MDM Enrollment Profile showing expired notification, even though the Apple Push Notification (APNs) certificate is valid
- MDM Commands, like Device Lock/Device Wipe commands, do not work.
- System Updates via MDM do not kick off an update, even though one is available.
- MDM Profiles are not pushed
Addigy Support, Product, and Engineering teams have observed a potential Apple bug where the mdmclient binary, used for communication between an MDM provider(Addigy) and the device (macOS X.X) becomes "stuck" or "hung" in it's processes. This prevents any new MDM commands from being processed on the device. We have submitted an Apple Feedback on the issue and are awaiting further details by Apple.
Addigy Product and Engineering teams have released a device fact (Is MDM Client Stuck) for Admins to report on devices that are in this stuck state. We have also shared two community scripts that can help solve the problem - Kickstart Software Updates, and Restart MDMClient Service. While we do not recommend this as a long term solution, we completely understand needing an immediate workaround is needed to successfully, and securely manage devices. Here is a suggested workflow when following this workaround:
- Add the Kickstart Software Updates and Restart MDMClient Service scripts to your environment from the Addigy Community.
- Using Addigy Devices page, Look for a device that has Is MDM Stuck = True.
- Run the Restart MDMClient Service script, from the devices page.
- (Optional) If System Updates via MDM is not working as well, please run the Kickstart Software Updates script.
- (Optional) Run any MDM command. For testing purposes, we recommend running a command that will not affect end user activities. For example, Go to the Updates page in GoLive as this will kick off an MDM Command behind the scenes (AvailableOSUpdates MDM Command).
- Wait 5 minutes for the Is MDM Client Stuck fact to update itself. (Max 10 minutes just to be safe).
- Recheck the Is MDM Stuck fact on the device.
If you are experiencing this behavior and need further assistance not mentioned in this article, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team, email@example.com.