The week of July 10th Addigy will release a new binary "mdm-watchdog" to your macOS Devices.
The MDM Watchdog binary consolidates the logic used to determine the overall health of MDM and Software Updates on macOS devices managed by Addigy and the publicly available MDM Watchdog.
What should I expect?
- When this binary is deployed it is possible your anti-virus solution may report the new binary on your devices. The binary is called "mdm-watchdog"
- The Addigy Facts "Is MDM Client Stuck" and "Is MDM Software Update Stuck" will continue to work as before
- MDM Watchdog as part of Addigy is deployed to /Library/Addigy directory on each managed macOS device
- The community MDM Watchdog is deployed to /usr/local/bin/mdm-watchdog
- The Addigy Agent Watchdog remains unchanged. The MDM Watchdog binary is called from Agent Watchdog binary.
- The launch daemon for the Agent Watchdog remains /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.addigy.watchdog.plist
- The launch daemon for the community MDM Watchdog remains /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.addigy.mdm-watchdog.plist
- Both the Addigy and Community versions of MDM Watchdog can exist on the same machine. Addigy will rely on the version deployed with the Addigy agents
What is different between the built-in Addigy MDM Watchdog and the community version of MDM Watchdog?
The built in Addigy Watchdog automatically deploys to each macOS device managed by Addigy. No action on the part of an Addigy administer is required. The Addigy facts that can be used for monitoring and reporting on MDM Health are automatically populated for all macOS devices so they may be used without any action.
The community version of MDM Watchdog can be used by Mac Admins using any MDM solution. MDM Watchdog must be deployed manually by System Administrators to the devices they wish to monitor. Admins also need to build a mechanism to monitor the log information, log show --predicate 'process="mdm-watchdog"', MDM Watchdog generates.
Both the built-in and community edition of MDM Watchdog will attempt to restart MDM and Software Update services as necessary.