Microsoft has decided to change the subscription model of their product, Microsoft Teams. This affected the following Public Software items in Addigy:
- Microsoft Teams
- Office 2019 with Teams
- Microsoft Teams split into two products: Classic Teams and New Teams.
- Classic Teams is the app we've been deploying. The new Teams version is free to download, but usage is locked behind a Microsoft 365 business and enterprise plan.
- Microsoft has an auto-updater that retroactively updates the installed Teams to Teams Classic. This has been causing reinstallation loops since the condition script for our Public Software is looking for "Microsoft Teams" and NOT "Teams Classic."
What did we do?
- We unpublished all Microsoft Teams-related items in the Public Software Catalog to prevent further disruptions to end-users. If you were previously deploying one of these software items, please re-deploy the newest versions available now.
- We created a new public software item, "Teams Classic," which is the name that new versions of the FREE version of Teams will be released under.
- We repurposed the old Microsoft Teams software item to download the paid version of Teams. This will be where new versions of the PAID version of teams will be released.
Office 2019 with Teams:
- We unpublished Office 2019 with Teams to prevent further end-user disruption.
- We edited the condition script to look for Teams Classic or New Paid Teams and then republished Office 2019 with Teams.
What should I do?
Since we decided to unpublish versions not accounting for the name change, review your policy deployments and ensure you are deploying the updated Public Software item.