Whether you're new to Addigy, new to MDM, or not an experienced scripter, creating a Custom Software package can be tough at first. This how-to serves as your guide to install .sh-type files!
.sh type files are simple shell files that contain a small list of executable instructions. These files are typically used to run scripts. Just like with PKG files, Addigy will generate an installation script for .sh files automatically!
Create a Custom/Smart Software Item
- Create a custom software item by navigating to Policies>Catalog>Custom Software>New.
- Navigate to File Manager by selecting "Add Files", and upload your .sh file:
- Now that your file is selected, we can use the auto-fill option to create the Installation Script. This can be found under the Add installation script column, from there you'd click "Add":
You can read more about condition scripts here:https://support.addigy.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403542369171-Condition-Scripts-Explained
The installation script will look similar to the below:
Note: An installation script is needed; otherwise, the file will just exist on the device without instructions.
Add the Custom/Smart Software to a Policy
- Navigate to a Policy
- You can now deploy this script to either a Parent or Child policy. Since this is a custom software item, you will find it under the "Smart Software" section of the Software tab within the policy you select:
- Click Add/Remove... and add it to your policy.
- Confirm the addition and now you're set!
(Optional) Add Custom/Smart Software to your Self Service Catalog
You can also add this to your Self Service catalog!
- Navigate to the Self Service > Assignments tab within your policy once more, and locate your Smart Software item.
- Select the check box next to the item and click Add/Remove... to add the item
- Confirm the addition.
Here is an example of how the software item will appear within Self-Service:
(Optional) Deploy Custom/Smart Software to Individual Devices
Want to deploy this software to one device at a time? Golive is the feature you're looking for!
- Navigate to the Devices Page, locate your device, and click the name of it. From there you'll be taken to the GoLive Overview page.
- Navigate to Software>Smart software and search for your custom software item, you'd then click deploy:
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us by contacting email@example.com