The following describes how to use the Addigy's API to do a mass OS update to your iOS and iPadOS devices via Addigy.
- The MDM Commands in the script are documented here: https://docs.addigy.com/mdm/MDM_Commands/#system-updates
- The Public API Commands are documented here: https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/6033495/S17tPnJf#3254e151-4b05-4a96-9f82-0a874f491d75
In order to perform this, you will need to run a custom script on your admin device and a few other requirements.
This script will return all the devices within your organization, parse through the results, and only queue MDM Commands for iPhone and iPad Devices.
- iOS and iPadOS Supervised Devices
- Requires iOS 9.0+
- Requires Addigy MDM
- An API Client ID and Client Secret
Performing Bulk MDM Updates
The following steps walk through how to use the attached script to perform updates on groups of devices. This script will need to be run several times. The iOS Software Update command first downloads the update. The command needs to be sent a 2nd time for the install to begin or start on the device.
Note: This will queue an update for all iPhones and iPad devices in the organization
- Step 1 - Download the Script attached to this KB Article
- Step 2 - Create an API Key in Account > Integrations > Add API
- Step 3 - Insert your Client ID and Client Secret into the variables at the top of the script called `client_id` and `client_secret`
- Step 4 - Verify the Update Key within the script for the Update you want to deploy (Note that the iOS Update Key value for 14.8 is already included in the attached Script. If you need to find a different iOS Key please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Step 5 - Run the script on your admin machine from the terminal (e.g. `sudo sh ios-updates.sh`)
- Step 6 - Wait. The devices first need to download the OS update before proceeding with the install. If you have a device available, you can check Settings -> Software Update to see the current progress.
- Step 7 - Rerun the script. The script will queue another OS Update command for every device. This will then start the actual upgrade of the machine.
- Using Addigy Facts, you may build a monitoring item for your iOS items to check for the current version of iOS. If devices remains without the update after the above process you may repeat running the script or update the device directly in GoLive.
- The Update Key in the script will patch the iOS Devices for the current security issue and deploy iOS 14.8.
- The Update Key can be difficult to find, please contact email@example.com if you need help finding a key other than iOS 14.8.
- The script should be used carefully as it will trigger updates on all iOS Devices.
- The script will contain your API keys so do not share it publicly.
- This capability will be added to the Addigy Console in a future release.