iOS and iPadOS devices can be added to Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager via Apple Configurator 2, if they weren't added at the time of purchase.
Note: This article covers preparing devices for Automated Device Enrollment. To learn how to view prepared devices in Apple Business Manager and assign them to a server for enrollment, see our article Assigning Devices in Apple Business Manager for Automated Device Enrollment.
Adding Devices to Apple Business Manager
- Plug device into your Mac and open the Apple Configurator 2 application.
- The device should appear under All Devices:
- Select the device and click Prepare.
- In the modal window that opens, select the "Prepare with" dropdown and choose Manual Configuration. Un-check Activate and complete enrollment:
- Click Next.
- Select New Server and click Next.
- Enter any name for the server. In the Host name or URL field, enter the MDM Enrollment link for your policy in Addigy. This link can be copied from the Add Devices page in your Addigy instance.
- Select the certificate shown below, then click Next.
- In the next window, sign in to Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager with the credentials used to manage devices.
- Generate or choose a supervision identity, then click Next.
- Select the setup screens, if any, you'd like to be skipped during Setup Assistant.
- Upload a Wi-Fi MDM profile so the device can connect to Apple and Addigy's MDM service, then click Prepare.
Note: A Wi-Fi configuration can be created via a profile editor, such as Apple Configurator 2.
- An MDM server called Apple Configurator 2 will be created in Apple Business/School Manager. Move the device from this server to the one linked to your Addigy policy before completing step 14.
Assigning Devices in Apple Business Manager for Automated Device Enrollment
- You will be prompted to erase the device to complete the preparation process.