Addigy MDM offers the capability to push a Remote Lock or Remote Wipe command from within the Addigy Console.
The device must be installed and available in Addigy with an MDM Profile assigned to use Remote Lock and Remote Wipe.
The device does not require assignment to a specific policy but must have an MDM Profile to receive the command.
Locking a Device
Navigate to the Devices page you can remotely lock or wipe a device which has Addigy MDM Profiles deployed.
The option to send either the remote lock or remote wipe command is available in the Actions column.
Once you select the button, a new dialog box will appear asking which command you want to perform.
Selecting the Lock Device option will prompt you to enter a password that will be used to unlock the device.
Note: Ensure that you keep note of this passcode as Addigy does not record or store this passcode.
This will lead to a device reboot into a lock screen at which point only the passcode can unlock the device. Once the passcode is entered the device will reboot and allow the users to log in once again.
Below is a video that walks through the process at an accelerated speed.
Note: This video contains no audio
Remotely Wiping a Device
On the Devices page, you can remotely wipe a device which has the Addigy MDM Profile installed.
The option to send either the remote lock or remote wipe command is available in the Actions column of the Devices table. Device Wipe steps will be slightly different but very similar locking the device.
First, select the Remote Wipe/Lock option.
Select Erase Data.
Note: The device will immediately erase itself. No warning is given to the user. This command is performed immediately even if the device is locked.
The action cannot be canceled unless the profile is removed from the device.
Enter the 6 digit passcode to unlock the device after the device has been erased and select Erase Device.
Finally, to complete the process and send the wipe command you must enter the exact name of the device and select Erase Device.
Note: The device will be wiped including the Addigy agent. This will prevent your ability to manage it until Addigy is reinstalled.
Upon completion, you will be presented with the confirmation message that the request was sent.
- Device Lock/Device Wipe will require the six-digit passcode to unlock the device.
- The Devices must have an MDM Profile installed to perform either the lock or wipe action.
- Device Wipe: Upon receiving this command, the device immediately erases itself. No warning is given to the user. This command is performed immediately even if the device is locked.
- Device Lock: If a passcode has been set on the device, the device is locked with the "
DeviceLock"command. The device returns a status of "A
cknowledged"and a message
uccess". If a passcode has not been set on the device, the device is locked but the message and phone number are not displayed on the screen. The device returns a status
cknowledged"and a message
- Device Lock for iOS devices will force the device to the lock screen.
- Remote Device Wipe will erase the entire disk, this includes the Recovery Partition and any other partitions on the device.
- When an incorrect passcode is entered on the wiped/locked macOS Device multiple times, it will cause the device to go into an infinite reboot loop. This loop can only be fixed by taking it into Apple. Because of this, we recommend you limit the incorrect attempts to 3 while testing.