There are two methods of enrolling an Apple TV into Addigy. Both methods involve the use of ABM (Apple Business Manager):
- Order your Apple TV from Apple or an authorized reseller and have them add the device to your ABM account so that it goes through the Automated Device Enrollment process. Please review our KB article on the Automated Device Enrollment process.
- The second and more common method of enrolling an Apple TV would be using AC2 (Apple Configurator 2) to add the device to your ABM.
Note: This process is very hands-on and requires physical access to the Apple TV, ADE setup within a policy in Addigy, an ethernet cord to hardwire the device directly to an ethernet source, and a macOS device.
Below are the steps to add an Apple TV to your ABM account to have it go through the ADE process:
Note: Please ensure that you do not touch the remote until Step 19.
- Plug the ethernet cord into a router and the other end into your Apple TV. Then, plug your Apple TV into power and let it power on naturally. When the device is powered on, it will be at the Hello screen.
- Open AC2 on your macOS device and go to Paired Devices. Click Pair.
A code will appear on the screen. Enter it into Apple Configurator 2. Note that pairing may fail, but as long as it shows next steps in AC2, you can continue. Below is what the error message would look like:
This is what AC2 will look like when the device shows up properly:
- Right-click the device and select Prepare:
- Ensure that the below options are selected exactly as they are in the below image:
- Select a server from within AC2. You may want to review our KB article on Creating a server:
- Sign in to the Apple ID associated with your ABM account:
- Choose a supervision identity:
- You can then configure the below for what fits your business needs:
- (optional) You can add a wifi payload to your setup:
- You would then click prepare. At this time you may be prompted to enter admin credentials:
- After entering admin credentials the preparation process will begin:
The device will then reboot and show the Apple logo. At this point, the device will no longer be connected to AC2.
- Once the device finishes the preparation process, you'll arrive back at the "Hello" screen. You should not touch the remote just yet. At this point, you should log into your ABM account, you should see the Apple TV listed. At this point, the device isn't assigned to an MDM server:
- To assign the device to an MDM server, click the device and select "Edit Device Management":
- Select a server to assign the device to, the click Continue, then Done:
- At this point, your device is now assigned to the MDM servier of your choosing.
- Navigate to Addigy and go to the policy where the device will be enrolled. From there, go to Integrations>Automated Device Enrollment and locate the Apple TV in the device list, if it isn't there, click Scan. Once you've verified that it's there, click Scan once more so that it shows as "Assigned" within the list.
- Once it shows as assigned, you may now pick up the remote and click the middle button on it.
Select Language, region, and hit continue under Data & Privacy.
- Under ”Automatically set up your Apple TV”, select Set Up Manually.
- Select Siri settings as preferred.
- The remote management screen should appear. Hit Continue. If you hit Leave Remote Management, the device will be removed from your ABM account entirely.
- Entering an Apple ID is optional.
- Skip TV provider (optional).
- Select a location for the Apple TV (or give it another name).
- We recommend enabling location services.
- Agree to Apple's Terms & Conditions.
- All done! Within Addigy, the Apple TV will appear. The name will change to the location or name of the device.