Apple Push Certificates are used by Apple Push Notification service (APNs), which is a robust, secure, and highly efficient service that allows Addigy to send Mobile Device Management (MDM) policies, options, or commands to your Devices.
These certificates need to be renewed on a yearly basis with the same Apple ID that was used to create it. Therefore, if you have Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager, it is best to create your Apple Push Certificate using a Managed Apple ID.
Using a Managed Apple ID for your APNs certificate future proofs your organization because it means the ability to renew your certificate is not tied to one individual and your APNs certificate is not linked to a personal Apple ID. Read more info on Managed Apple IDs for business and for education.
For this guide, we will be using Apple Business Manager, though the process for Apple School Manager is very similar.
In this guide, you will create a Managed Apple ID with the proper Role to be used to create an Apple Push Notification certificate.
Create the Managed Apple ID
- Log into Apple Business Manager with either an Administrator or People Manager role
- Select Users
- Click the + button above the list of users
- Fill in the required fields (First Name, Last Name, Managed Apple ID, Role/Locations, Email Address)
- For the Role, use Staff
- Click Save
Create the Sign-In and Set a Password
- After saving, the page will reload and you will be on the overview of the new Managed Apple ID.
- Click "Create Sign-in"
- Choose either to receive the sign credentials as a file or send as an email.
- Open a new private browser window or a different browser.
- Navigate to the Apple ID site and log in with the newly created credentials and temporary password.
- Enter a real phone number to receive a verification. Note: other numbers can be added to this later so that more than one person is able to login to this Apple ID.
- Enter the verification code.
- Create a new, strong password
- Click OK
- Agree to the privacy information
- You are not on the profile for the Managed Apple ID
An Apple Push Notification certificate is required for Mobile Device Management, and an Apple ID is required to create the certificate. The Apple ID used to create your push certificate should not be a personal Apple ID, but one that more than one team member has access to so that renewal issues are mitigated. For this reason, a Managed Apple ID from either Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager is the best route to go.
Now that you've got your Managed Apple ID created, you can follow Apple's guide for creating a push certificate and add it to Addigy.